Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wine Cubes - Freezing Wine for Future Use

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."
- Julia Child (Attributed)

I'm a lot less picky about the wine that I use for cooking than I am about the wine I drink.  And, on occasion, I open a bottle of wine I've never tried, take a sip, and immediately move that particular wine to my "don't buy again" list.  But I hate letting it go to waste since around our house wine is a luxury, and I also don't like scrambling for a recipe that I hadn't previously planned on preparing that week.  So, what to do?  It turns out you can freeze it!

The Supplies:
Wine
Ice cube trays
A freezer

The Process:
Pour wine into ice cube trays, put in freezer, let sit at Least 24 hours.  

It's a lot less messy to leave them in the trays, but if you need the trays for other projects you can pop the wine cubes out and put them in a ziplock bag and return them to the freezer.  They will be a little slushy because alcohol has a lower freezing temp than water, but they'll hold their shape well enough.  This is super convenient for the next time you have a recipe that requires wine and you don't want to use the good stuff.  They may lose alcohol content over time, but most recipes cook the alcohol out of the wine anyway, so it's just a flavoring agent. 

What an easy way to keep something from going to waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment