Friday, January 4, 2013

Teriyaki Chicken

So I tried a recipe for low-carb teriyaki chicken last night, and I like it for several reasons.  The first being that it tastes Amazing!  I also really like it because it is very simple, healthy, and you can re-use the sauce multiple times.  So here it is:

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed (for stronger flavor, score chicken)
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used a yellow onion)
1 medium clove garlic, minced (I used an large clove, because we love garlic)
2 Tablespoons granulated Splenda (or sweetener of your choice)
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
1/2 cup soy sauce

Directions:
Place chicken in an 8x8 baking dish.
Mix all other ingredients, then pour over chicken.
Let marinate in refrigerator for one hour.
Place baking dish in cold oven, set to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Bake 20 minutes, turn chicken, cook 10-15 minutes more, or until done.  Baste frequently.

Results:
This chicken has a great flavor, although it was a bit strong.  RM ate his on a bed of white rice.  White rice isn't low glycemic, so I had mine plain with a side salad.  I did try a bite with the rice, and RM and I agree that the rice balances out the chicken.  Next time I might make some quinoa to go with it.  I scored the chicken, but next time I think I won't, or maybe I'll only score 2 breasts since RM really liked the stronger flavor.

As I said, the sauce can be re-used.  I was a bit surprised at how much sauce was left.  Just stick it in a Tupperware container and throw it in the freezer.  Because it cooked in the dish with the chicken, you shouldn't have any concern over salmonella.  Next time you want to cook teriyaki chicken, just pull your sauce out of the freezer in the morning and let it thaw.  I estimate there's enough to get 3-4 uses out of one batch.
 

                                                                  

I feel like I've been focusing a bit much on cooking lately.  We've just ordered the ingredients to make laundry detergent at home (can you believe it was cheaper on Amazon than at Wal Mart?) and I'll be posting the process and results in a few days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment